Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Goodbye, Nora Ephron

Tonight, I came home from an evening walk with a friend to discover via Facebook, my go-to news source, that Nora Ephron had died. What bittersweet news. I won't hem and haw and tear at my clothing for you here, but let me take a moment to say what Nora and her writing meant to me.



First and foremost, she was an incredible writer.  Funny. Poignant. Smart.  And a woman in a man's world, who paved the way for many who came after her.  I was influenced by her before I even knew who she was.  Like the rest of America, I fell in love with Sleepless in Seattle.  For a while, my singular goal in life was to meet a handsome widower with an adorable son and live on a houseboat in Seattle.  (And after Current Husband, I shall.)  She made me a better writer, and her books have certainly influenced how I write.

The movie "You've Got Mail" made me want to open a store.  I loved the Shop Around the Corner, and actually opened a retail store with checkerboard tile floors where I would "twirl" Oldest Daughter and The Son, and cuddle infant baby Youngest Daughter.  *sigh*   I sold the store when we moved to the Quad Cities.  I still miss that store.  They don't make much money and they are an 18/6 commitment, but they can be oh so much fun.  I miss my awesome customers, and you cannot BEAT shopping at a gift market, spending thousands of dollars to stock your store, and when your orders come in it's like Christmas.


The Shop Around the Corner, where Meg Ryan twirled with her mom.


Blurry pic of YD in my store.  In her bikini.  
Because that's how she rolls.

Nora's book "I Feel Bad About My Neck" is terrific.  Not only is it a guidebook of sorts to aging, but it's a beautifully descriptive book about New York City and a snapshot of life in the 1960's and 1970's.  I loved it.  Go.  Read it.  I'll wait.

(Brace yourself for the cheese factory....)



The Shop Around the Corner closed.  My shop closed.  And after 71 years, Nora Ephron has passed away.  I hope she died with the knowledge that her readers and viewers have loved having her as a part of our lives.

 

2 comments:

katherine4e said...

well said Julie!

katherine4e said...

Well said Julie!

Post a Comment

Let's talk. Tell me all about it.